[rekonq] Re: Clear Button in URL bar

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Wed Nov 17 22:11:59 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 08:45 PM, ext Pierre Rossi wrote:
> As we discussed on #rekonq earlier today I'm personally fine with
> "Ctrl+L, backspace".
> Your other suggestion to add a button in the UI is pretty much what I
> was proposing in order to keep things simple and flexible:
>
> <elproxy> shadeslayer: Lionel__: guys how about an optional button in
> the UI that could be next to the urlbar, it's not über-consistent with
> the other lineedits in KDE, but at least it has the benefit of being
> optional
> <shadeslayer> hmm
> <elproxy> and people could place it elsewhere too, for instance if they
> want it to the left...
> <shadeslayer> idk .... it can be done
> <shadeslayer> or remove it completely
> <elproxy> yes, that is what *I* will do on my machine
>
> Lionel was considering an optional button still within the url bar.
>
> Other cool ideas anyone ?

I just sketched a few ideas of an erase button.

First rekonq_erase_short_url.png, the erase button is next to the text
and move to the right as the text width increase. It is at a good
distance of the text so you can still select text without clicking on it
accidentally.

Next, if you click on the button accidentally, we could just have a redo
button to put the text back rekonq_erase_redo.png.

When the text is wide, no choice but putting it next to the other buttons.

To improve discoverability, the button needs a tool tip. I am also in
favor of having a response to mouse hover so it is clear it is a button.

The simpler solution is to just put it as the erase button as an option
as Pierre suggested. If we have too many of those things and don't want
to clutter the UI, we can introduce a about:config scheme.

cheers,
Benjamin