[rekonq] Re: Clear Button in URL bar

Pierre Rossi pierre.rossi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:45:58 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 20:34, Emmanuel Surleau
<emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com>wrote:

> > 2010/11/16 Rohan Garg <rohangarg at ubuntu.com>
> >
> > > Oh forgot to mention my idea :
> > > Display clear button when URL is still loading, but hide it once the
> url
> > > was loaded and show the RSS feed & bookmark buttons.
> > > Regards
> > > Rohan Garg
> >
> > I don't think adding that button is a good idea. We already have a lot of
> > widgets in the url bar and if we add more it'll look too bloated. Lets
> keep
> > only the essential ones.
> >
> > Showing the button only when loading isn't useful either. It's a small
> > period of time, it might get confusing and it's very likely to produce
> the
> > annoying situation when you want to press a button and by the time you
> move
> > the mouse the button has disappeared.
>
> The current system (no clear button) is a goddamn pain with X's (admittedly
> retarded) handling of copy-paste. I understand the drive for simplicity,
> but
> it should not be an end in itself.
>
> If anything, you can always make it a button outside the URL bar (like the
> reload button), people who do not want it can remove it via the "Configure
> toolbars" window.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Emm

As we discussed on #rekonq earlier today I'm personally fine with  "Ctrl+L,
backspace".
Your other suggestion to add a button in the UI is pretty much what I was
proposing in order to keep things simple and flexible:

<elproxy> shadeslayer: Lionel__: guys how about an optional button in the UI
that could be next to the urlbar, it's not über-consistent with the other
lineedits in KDE, but at least it has the benefit of being optional
<shadeslayer> hmm
<elproxy> and people could place it elsewhere too, for instance if they want
it to the left...
<shadeslayer> idk .... it can be done
<shadeslayer> or remove it completely
<elproxy> yes, that is what *I* will do on my machine

Lionel was considering an optional button still within the url bar.

Other cool ideas anyone ?

Cheers,
--
Pierre