[rekonq] Fonts

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 11:48:10 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 10:53:21 Markus wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, 10:32:17 schrieb Benjamin Poulain:
> > ext Markus wrote:
> > >
> > > Two reason actually: Windows and Mac OS X which both ship those fonts
> > > by default.
> > > But that does not represent the typical X11-based OS / KDE SC
> > > installation...
> >
> > The web is not font agnostic. Lots of webpages are designed with a
> > layout relying on Windows fonts.
> >
> > I would be careful before using the default fonts of KDE to render
> > webpages. I expect some page layout to be broken when the metrics are
> > very different from Windows fonts.
>
> Seriously? That's your argument? No mainstream Linux distribution even
> ships those fonts by default! Defaulting to fonts which are not even
> installed on regular people's KDE SC installation does not make any sense
> at all! On top of that, it's the f*cking web and not a print medium. The
> web is not designed to be pixel accurate. Just change the browser's window
> size and everything is off anyway, no matter which font you use.
> Additionally, if some idiot wannabe web designer wants pixel-perfect
> rendering for his text, he'll define the fonts and font sizes manually and
> not rely on browser defaults.
>
> Another counter-argument to yours: Usability.
> When I modify the font settings in System Settings, all of my fonts change.
> No matter if its GUI fonts or the fonts of text fields. Why on earth not
> in web pages?
> IMO (I hope Jonathan or another person who can program reads this and
> writes a patch) Rekonq should use by default the fonts defined in System
> Settings. Rekonq's Fonts prefpane should be kept intact, but receive a
> checkbox (unchecked by default) that says
> "Override System Settings' font configuration".

Markus,
while I probably agree your points, I surely think they can be exposed with
some better language.

On the other side, Benjamin reply about FontConfig (that every distro on Heart
uses actually) solves anyway the trick for people that doesn't have "web
fonts" installed (and, If there is a package called "WebFonts", probably also
this means something..).
Another consideration: doesn't FontConfig resolves missing Arial fonts with
Dejavu Sans?!

Last:
we don't need to find someone to patch code, as changing fonts settings is a 2
lines easy modification. We need to find an agreement on what's best for rekonq
default fonts.

Regards,