[rekonq] Fonts

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Wed May 26 11:08:22 CEST 2010

ext Markus wrote:
> Seriously? That's your argument? No mainstream Linux distribution even ships
> those fonts by default!

I am just giving my point of view.
 From my experience, page layouts expect some metrics, for fonts and for
form elements (buttons, lineedit, etc).

> Defaulting to fonts which are not even installed on
> regular people's KDE SC installation does not make any sense at all!

Most modern system use FontConfig, and it will happily return you a font
corresponding to Arial or Times new with at least similar metrics.

> On top of that, it's the f*cking web and not a print medium. The web is not
> designed to be pixel accurate. Just change the browser's window size and
> everything is off anyway, no matter which font you use.
> Additionally, if some idiot wannabe web designer wants pixel-perfect rendering
> for his text, he'll define the fonts and font sizes manually and not rely on
> browser defaults.

If current website like Amazon is broken because of the font, users will
blame the browser. No matter how "right" it is by using the system font.

Again that is just my point of view. :)

cheers,
Benjamin