[rekonq] urlbar default search engine

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 11:31:32 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 00:47:13 Thijs Heus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since a couple of months, I'm a happy oser of rekonq 0.4 or git as my main
> browser. With the latest speed ups of the urlbar, rekonq is getting quite
> well into shape! Congratulations with that.
>
> Is there any reason why the urlbar uses a different default engine  than
> the webshortcuts do? I like to have google_lucky as a default, for
> instance. In my local git repo, i've changed that. Is that something that
> I should submit through git - I mean, it is a trivial change, if wanted...
>
> Also, the encoding submenu tends to be slow and fills up half my screen. Is
> it really necessary to have that one outside the configuration?
>
> Best,
> Thijs

Hi Thijs,
I took the decision about that, hearing also last complains between kde people
about KUriFilter use.
KUriFilter is the KDE class providing the so called "web shortcuts".
I'm aware this is a decision a bit strange, here are the points I considered
about:

- what in WebShortcuts settings is called the "default search engine" is
really not that, but it's the "default web shortcut". That setting works just
on "Browse" sites that cannot be resolved. As last solution KUriFilter adds
the default web shortcut there.
eg: you type "ciao", If http://ciao doesn't exist (your DNS doesn't know about
it), KUriFilter searches "ciao" in your default search engine.
Hope you understand this is not really a search.

- default webshortcut can be empty. While this can be considered normal in the
previous mechanism (in this case "ciao" loading fails) this is not what we
would rich with our bar. No one seems have really considered to NOT provide
"Search" results here, while providing a fallback mechanism (you choose none,
we impose google search) is really not the best solution.

- All major browser propose (or will propose in their next major stable)
solution as we do. In fact I just reimplemented their solution.

Maybe that's all.

PS: you'll find encoding submenu fixed recompiling rekonq. At least I tried :)

Best,