[rekonq] Rekonq default search engine

Panagiotis Papadopoulos pano_90 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 4 01:07:23 CEST 2010

Am Freitag 04 Juni 2010, 01:06:53 schrieb Andrea Diamantini:
> Hi all,
> I'd like you all give attention for a second at the "search engine question".
> I basically imposed  ( :) ) the actual solution because of clearness of use
> and of coding. Moreover, all major browsers adopt it, so I thought it could be
> the right one.
>
> But... in KDE we have some things done strangely. Like this "default search
> engine" to be set in the webshortcuts settings. I just exposed my point of
> view about (that is not the "default search engine" really, but the default
> "web shortcut". And I can easily assume people doesn't know and/or doesn't use
> web shortcuts).
> Moreover, this (not really being the default search engine..) can be set as
> none, letting easily crash an app assuming there has to be *one* search engine
> set.
>
> We also had one discussion here and one merge request rejected
> (http://gitorious.org/rekonq/mainline/merge_requests/2266). This patch solves
> the "none" search engine set, defaulting it to "google".
> Moreover I noticed adawit (that is also KUriFilter developer..) committed some
> enhancements to that chain (available in SC 4.5).
> So, considering that either solutions are enough "safe", what's your preferred
> choice? And why?
>
> 1) leave things as they are now
>
> 2) drop default engine settings in the "General UI", using default webshortcut
> as default engine (defaulting to google when not set)?

I vote for 2).

> PS: Pano, after we decided for the string freeze we changed more strings that
> during all the development period :D

Yeah :-D
Well we had this i18n bug with the ui files which was imho critical (strings in the ui files were not extracted by Scripty, thus not translatable), so it was necessary to break the string freeze :-P

> I'm thinking to an beta2 release for the next week, starting a real string
> freeze period and saying sorry about in i18n ml.
> Sounds good?

Can you give me an approx. date for this? I'd like to the translators know this, so that this time we can also add the translation in the Beta 2 release.
(Let's agree again to add only translations with a completion of at least 75%, ok?)

Greetings