[rekonq] Re: Contribute

Jon Ander Peñalba jonan.debian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 19:32:00 CET 2010

2010/12/13 Benjamin Poulain <benjamin.poulain at nokia.com>

> Hi all,
>

> On 12/13/2010 05:02 PM, ext Pierre Rossi wrote:
>
>>        I'll let Benjamin expand on this but his first email explains
>>        why the tabwidget is in the way: "have a single QGraphicsView
>>        containing all the pages" (via QGraphicsWebView).
>>        In this case, you only want a tab bar giving you an index and
>>        everything else would take place in the view. Still a bit
>>        curious to hear about the full vision, so Benjamin, feel free to
>>        give more details on this.
>>

>>    I understand what he wants to do, but I don't get why is this better.
>>    I'm not against it, just curious about the benefits. If we discuss
>>    the pros and cons I'll be glad to help in the implementation :)
>>

>> Mhh, I feel we have a bit of a misunderstanding here. I don't see how
>> you can have a *single* graphics view in all the different pages of a
>> QTabWidget (which is a combination of a tabbar and a stackedwidget), and
>> I believe that would be the plan, that's where we don't have a
>> convenient widget taking care of this for us (like QTabWidget did), and
>> we need to design one.
>>

> I have one big argument against having multiple graphics view: One of the
> benefit we can get from using graphics view is the use of openGL for 3D
> transforms, transitions and animation (via WebKit's accelerated
> compositing), and for WebGL.
>
> This mean the graphics view's viewport would be a QGLWidget, so it would
> have a GL context. If we have more than one view per window, we would end up
> with plenty of GL context, and GL drivers do not really like that kind of
> mess :)
>

> Having one graphics view would enable a few fancy stuff as well. For
> example, when passing from one tab to the next (ctrl+tab for example), we
> could scroll the view to show the next page. This scroll could be animated
> so we see a visual transition between the tabs.
>
> Another fancy thing possible is a "exposé" mode for a window. We could add
> an icon to the tabbar to show all the open tab in a single view.
>
> cheers,
> Benjamin

I really like how all this sounds. Only one concern, wont it be harder (if
at all possible) to implement the process-per-tab feature having only one
graphics view?

If we have to choose between one or the other, I'm certainly in favor of all
this fancy stuff, I've never found process-per-tab that important :)