[rekonq] Urlbar improvements

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:04:12 CEST 2010

Hi Lionel (and list),
sorry I cannot connect in IRC this morning. I'll be there this evening.

My last commits fix all bugs about encondings. What we debated yesterday (I
understood you said ok at the ending, but probably it was my fault. No
problems anyway) is to import just the UI fixes:
colors, a fixed layout for all suggestions, dontknowhatelse. Your branch's code
was too "experimental" to merge :)

The "problem" is that I had to change some behavior, in example the first item
selection on popup. This to let rekonq use KUriFilter to resolve a typed url
WITHOUT suggestions. That is the problem here.

Fixed the UI problems, we can easily work on two sides.

1) Url Resolver engines
- implement opensearch or whatonelikes engine
- the "search with" engine can be improved as you tried (in the listitem),
just providing some icons (yahoo, bing, wikipedia) and changing the url
protocol. In fact google search works now with "gg:string" url

2) UrlBar + CompletionWidget behavior
I can understand that the actual behavior (no selection on popup) is
suboptimal. But to re-enable previous (or implement a new one, firefox's in
example) we need to take decisions first.

Who resolvs urls?
1) In case just UrlResolver (no direct kurifilter) does, we need to move
kurifilter as being the first UrlResolver engine (and multithread, one thread
for engine) the class.
2) actual behavior

Problems about first case (that I think is best) is that KUriFilter, while
being incredible precise, is incredible slow (up to 5, repeat 5, azz.. 5!!
seconds). So, we will basically have every time the first result empty!
So, I fear we should leave actual.

To start debating, we need anyway the UI part fixed, Can you cherrypick (or
copy) just them in one clean branch created from actual master?

What do (all) you think about?

See (all) you in the evening,
Cheers,