[rekonq] Re : Menu bar

Lionel Chauvin megabigbug at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 25 15:53:30 CEST 2009

Le vendredi 25 septembre 2009 11:59:32, Eelko Berkenpies a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if there plans to make layout somewhat configurable so
> it'll be possible to have a menu bar when you want one. Today I showed
> rekonq to some colleague's here at work and they couldn't live with
> the fact that the menu got lost in pre 0.3 (it was too IE'ish). I
> showed them versions 0.2 and 0.2.59(?).
>
> And what are the opinions on this? I guess I could give it an attempt
> as a hacking project but my Qt knowledge is pretty much 0 at the
> moment. I'm not completely unfamiliar with programming languages so I
> guess I could pick it up quite soon. But I might decide to postpone
> the work on this if it's not up for discussion. :)

Hello, and thank you for the fedora integration.

We voluntarily removed the menu. It is not because IE made the right choice we must by contradiction keep our errors. Konqueror aggregates different kpart. It is not only a browser, so, it is a good choice of keeping a menu. This is not a goal of Rekonq. We are conviced that a menu is sometime useless. In a previous thread on the mailing list, I take an other example: dragonplayer. Take a look to the dragonplayer menu, it is laughable. I wish the KDE core developers recognize this problem and act accordingly instead of staying on their position. KDE core developers must develop a specific infrastructure for these kind of programs.

To compensate we are committed to maintaining clear and short the "wrench"  button menu and the contextual actions. (To Andrea: please note I am not yet satisfied about the current state of the contextual menu. What do you think about move page actions in a submenu when the contextual menu is open for a selected text ?)

I am largely responsible for this choice but I am sure Andrea have the same opinion on that.

Lionel.