[rekonq] Plugins

Jonas M. Gastal jgastal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:33:32 CET 2009

On Sunday 22 November 2009 17:46:45 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2009 16:07:41 nehlsen wrote:
> > are there any plans for plugins?
> >
> > i think a general plugin infrastructure is the key for a [very] good
> >  browser. it gives people (like me) the possiblity to extend the browser
> >  without touching the core. e.g. the bookmarks panel which i did, is imho
> >  not used by many people, so it would be a good idea to put something
> > like that into a plugin.
> >
> > blocks which i think should be plugins:
> > - adblock
> > - web shortcuts
> > - click to flash
>
> What let you think this?
>
> > i did some reading and testing and i think i can implement this into
> >  rekonq.
> >
> > any thoughts?
> > maybe, wait until 0.5?
> > or "this should be done by somebody more experienced or more into the
> > whole rekonq source"? i don't want to put my time into it if it's just
> > gonna be rejected (not that i think it would ;)
> >
> > so?
>
> I have three big problems with plugins:
> 1. don't think they are essential
Essential is relative, I think for a lot of people(possibly most) the ability
to use plugins is a deal breaker.
> 2. don't fit well with my main "lightweight browser" idea
As far as code is concerned it does increase code complexity, but less so than
implementing all possible plugins in the browser itself.
As far as resources usage is concerned I think a plugin system has no cost if
you don't use plugins, so you could argue it reduces resources usage.

> and most important..
>
> 3. let application crash when they crash
I've never implemented a plugin system but can't we prevent plugins from
crashing, by disabling them when something goes wrong?

--
Jonas M. Gastal