[rekonq] Config dialog polishing [patch]

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:19:29 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 23:05:54 Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> Hello rekonq guys,
>
> I really like what I'm seeing with rekonq. So much that I decided to write
>  a patch to polish a few things up. ;-) Hopefully they can be included in
>  mainline rekonq.
>
> I've attached the patch, which has several improvements to make rekonq's
>  main configuration dialog more like those of other KDE applications.
>  First, it uses the regular KPageDialog interface rather than the tree
>  view. The treeview doesn't really make sense because there isn't really a
>  tree. All config pages are top-level and there are no child objects. Most
>  other KDE apps' config dialogs work similarly, with Kate and Konqueror
>  being the main exceptions. I also set showButtonSeparator to false, in
>  line with other KDE applications.
>
> To accommodate for the extra space I bumped up the dialog height to 525 px,
> which is still safe enough away from the currently-golden 576 magical pixel
> limit for netbooks. ;-)
>
> The last change was changing the window title from "rekonfig..." to
>  "Configure - rekonq". I made this change for several reasons:
>
> * It is more in line with other KDE applications
> * rekonfig, while undeniably cute, is a bit unprofessional looking.
> * The "..." after rekonfig doesn't really fit there. The "..." is usually
> reserved for buttons or other GUI items that launch other dialogs when
> clicked.
>
> I do have a similar opinion for the use of the lowercase "rekonq"
>  throughout the GUI, though I don't know how willing you all would be to
>  change that. ;-) I think it  would be good to change "rekonq" to "Rekonq"
>  throughout the GUI to come across as more serious/professional.
>
> Hopefully we can come to an agreement on these changes, because I noticed
>  that a few of the things I had changed were deliberately put there. I have
>  included this patch aside from the config dialog string change (since that
>  would be bad for future translations) for the packages for the development
>  version Kubuntu 10.04.
>
> Thanks and keep up the good work,
> Jonathan Thomas

Hi Jonathan,
and sorry for the late answer. I'm applying by hand your patch in this moment,
cause of so many changes in my personal dev branch. Just 1 thing about the
setting dialog dimension: we changed from normal view to tree view just
because a lot of people was asking about a smaller config dialog fitting in
their netbook. Your comment about resolution (I argue minimal is 1024x576.
Isn't it?) is really important and we'll take care about.

Regards,