[rekonq] Config dialog polishing [patch]

Jonathan Thomas echidnaman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 23:05:54 CET 2009

Hello rekonq guys,

I really like what I'm seeing with rekonq. So much that I decided to write a
patch to polish a few things up. ;-) Hopefully they can be included in
mainline rekonq.

I've attached the patch, which has several improvements to make rekonq's main
configuration dialog more like those of other KDE applications. First, it uses
the regular KPageDialog interface rather than the tree view. The treeview
doesn't really make sense because there isn't really a tree. All config pages
are top-level and there are no child objects. Most other KDE apps' config
dialogs work similarly, with Kate and Konqueror being the main exceptions. I
also set showButtonSeparator to false, in line with other KDE applications.

To accommodate for the extra space I bumped up the dialog height to 525 px,
which is still safe enough away from the currently-golden 576 magical pixel
limit for netbooks. ;-)

The last change was changing the window title from "rekonfig..." to "Configure
- rekonq". I made this change for several reasons:

* It is more in line with other KDE applications
* rekonfig, while undeniably cute, is a bit unprofessional looking.
* The "..." after rekonfig doesn't really fit there. The "..." is usually
reserved for buttons or other GUI items that launch other dialogs when
clicked.

I do have a similar opinion for the use of the lowercase "rekonq" throughout
the GUI, though I don't know how willing you all would be to change that. ;-)
I think it  would be good to change "rekonq" to "Rekonq" throughout the GUI to
come across as more serious/professional.

Hopefully we can come to an agreement on these changes, because I noticed that
a few of the things I had changed were deliberately put there. I have included
this patch aside from the config dialog string change (since that would be bad
for future translations) for the packages for the development version Kubuntu
10.04.

Thanks and keep up the good work,
Jonathan Thomas