[rekonq] rekonq 0.2 development (and rekonq 0.1 release)

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:35:52 CEST 2009

As we are safely moved to kde svn rekonq code, fixed (quite all) translations,
documentation (not yet ready) is in the right place and unit tests are coming,
we are pretty near rekonq 0.1 release.
This is intended to be just a 1st release to check all things are working
quite well and people like our job.. ;)

rekonq 0.2 dev is going to start in these days. As promised, we need an
initial moment to check out our intentions and decide new feature list and
development plan.

So, here are my intentions for rekonq 0.2:

1.
move rekonq to WebkitKDE. This means a major refactoring of
networkaccessmanager, webpage && webview classes.
Anyway I think this is the moment to move there to really fully embrace KDE
technologies.
My idea is not to use the webkitKDE kpart component, but just the inherited
KWeb{Page,View} classes.
If someone is interested in this part of development, just ask me to
coordinate our efforts.

2.
Refactor Bookmarks classes to separate bookmarks tab, providing one separate
folder for that and implementing bookmarks panel. We can also add an action to
main toolbar, near the urlbar to add bookmarks.
If someone wanna manage *ALL* this part and became the "maintainer" of this
code, I will be very happy about that. We can start in this way to work a
little bit more organized ;)

3.
remove internet search bar providing search, history and bookmarks suggestions
in the main Urlbar. (A-LA chrome).
This will improve usability a lot (for me). Comments and ideas are welcome.

4.
MimeType Manager
I'd like to implement a sort of mimetype manager (?) as firefox does, providing
a list of actions for mimetype.
Images explain better than words..(http://imagebin.ca/view/q7rsnKH.html)

Just these 4 points mean a lot of work to do. Anyway, please this is the
moment for suggestions, ideas, new features requests, that need to be
implemented before others, or just that you wanna to implement instead of
those here.
Because we are here just for fun. Aren't we?

Regards,
--
Andrea Diamantini,
IRC: adjam_AT_freenode