[rekonq] Process Isolation for Tabs

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 06:04:46 CEST 2009

So I think it’d be really neat to make rekonq use a (one tab) ⇔ (one process)
model, similar to how Google Chrome works, basically along the same lines as
http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/03/29/instant-chrome/
http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/04/03/instant-chrome-continued/
XEmbed makes it really easy, but the result is nonportable to non-X11
platforms.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to implement something along these lines
for X11 platforms? It would presumably end up having a bunch of
#ifdef Q_WS_X11
(…)
#endif
or similar, though it would probably be possible to wrap that up, so that all
the X11/non-X11 stuff would be in one place, like some kind of "tab manager"
class that would either use normal tabs (QWebView widgets) or per-process tabs
(which would use XEmbed/DBus) and provide a means of interacting between the
two. I have some free time now, and this seems like it'd be interesting to
hack on.

Henry de Valence