[rekonq] Awesome bar Idea: KRunner

Lionel Chauvin megabigbug at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 30 21:03:12 CEST 2009

> This is a great (strike that and replace with AWESOME) idea,

he he :) this is the kind of feature that will differenciate Rekonq from Arora.

> but it does
> have a few (solvable) issues:

Yes, I imagine that it will not be so easy :(

> 1 - not all standard runners are useful for rekonq -> some kind of
> restricting them would need to be done

Yes, PowerDevil runner is not very useful for rekonq :)

> 2 - this would introduce plugins through a back door -> crashes (trust me,
> I *know* what I'm talking about)

I trust you :)

> 3 - runners can be /strange/ and from some of them extracting URL wouldn't
> be easy (it would be super-daft if we launch konqueror or firefox when the
> user enters an URL)

lol, I encountered this problem with KUriFilter in Rekonq yesterday.

> With all that said, I am still for this idea, and would even volunteer to
> do it.

Cool. Your help will be very useful.

> 1 and 3 would be easy to bypass if rekonq started shipping its own runners
> (like Amarok does with plasma applets) which wouldn't mix with the regular
> ones...

Mix ?
It is not like a plasma applet moving from amarok to the desktop.
You fear that some rekonq runner will not be able to work without rekonq ?

I am studying the bookmark runner and evaluate if it would be difficult to
create an history runner. I have also the idea of opensearch runners. Combine
webshortcuts and opensearch would be great. Before modifying Rekonq, these
runners can be tested with KRunner.

Can you share your knowlege ?