[rekonq] [RFC] Removing rekonq menubar

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 15:10:46 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 13:14:35 Johannes Zellner wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 July 2009 12:50:44 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> > Le mercredi 29 juillet 2009 12:32:18, Andrea Diamantini a écrit :
> > > From recent development I'm quite unsure about this. Lionel is clearly
> > > favourable about removing (forever) menubar.
> > >
> > > At this point we need just to integrate in rekonq tools menu the font
> > > actions and the help menu. History can be visualized in the panel
> > > and/or in the back button menu (to be decided).
> > > And that's all. No more menubar in rekonq.
> > >
> > > Opinions? Suggestions?
> >
> > When I say remove, I want say hidden by default.
> > People can reactivate it (with an option in the configuration panel).

When I say remove, I'm saying "remove": menubar and code ;)
People cannot reactivate it no more.

> I think to hide (not remove) the menubar by default is pretty good, like
> already stated, all relevant actions are available through the tools menu
> and more space available for the webpage content is most important I think.

Hiding menubar by default is actually just an hack with kxmlguiwindow.
You need to create it and then hide it. And you can do this in your local
settings with CTRL+M shortcut or "show menubar" action.
I'm saying to remove it from xml file and no more create it.

> > For the font actions, I don't understand why they are needed. You have
> > found websites where the font size must be changed ? For me it must be a
> > global setting in the configuration panel.
> > Page text encoding might be a local action (but it is not in Rekonq).

Font actions are needed because a lot of people asked for them from 0.0.4
release. People seems using them a lot. Anyway, font descrease/increase size
shortcuts are working pretty well now.

> Please keep this tools-menu as small as possible ;-)

+1 from me. But I'm saying to add just 2 more menus there (font and help).
And that's all.

By the way, if we are not ok with this, we can postpone to next release.
Regards,

--
Andrea Diamantini,
IRC: adjam_AT_freenode