[rekonq] Re : [RFC] THE ROAD TO REKONQ 0.2

Emmanuel Surleau emmanuel.surleau at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 07:38:45 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 00:36:06 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> > I'll toss up some ideas:
> > - setting an image as wallpaper from the context menu (unfortunately,
> > Webkit is not very good at telling whether one is right-clicking on an
> > image or not)
>
> Why not, but is this really useful for browsing ?

For browsing? Completely useless. For changing wallpapers? Very useful. That's
one of the features which is pretty common in browsers, shouldn't be too
complicated to implement and which increases the integration between Rekonq
and KDE.

> > - integration with Okular to display PDFs in the browser
>
> Not a good Idea. If you want to do that, it is easier to work on
> webkit-part and use Konqueror. It is another way but it is not the one of
> Rekonq.

Not a good idea technically speaking? You don't think having both a tight
Webkit integration and using non-Webkit kparts is a good idea?

> > - integration with Dolphin for browsing FTP/Webdav
>
> Idem
>
> > - integration with KGet for download management
>
> Yes, but less important than KWallet for example.

Sure.

> > - being able to open a new Rekonq window if Rekonq is already open
> > (sometimes you *do* want to look at two pages side by side - also
> > extremely convenient for working with multiple desktops), and moving tabs
> > from one to the other
>
> Yes, but after "One process per tab" implementation

Agreed.

> > - "awesome bar" like Firefox (though Opera and I believe Chrome
> > have also something similar) which would let you find past history
> > entries from URL, title, etc... - maybe Nepomuk could help with that.
>
> Yes, it must be done but not critical.

The ideas I put forward were not necessarily intended for the next release of
Rekonq. I assume some of them could be integrated, if they are easy enough to
implement, but it's more a case of "general things I'd love to see in Rekonq
at some point in the future".

Cheers,

Emm