[rekonq] [Mockup] Contextual actions

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:28:55 CEST 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 12:50:09 Lionel Chauvin wrote:
> > 1) You are a God doing mockups. I'm really astonished!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> > 2) You have to absolutely use the main git rule: ONE FEATURE, ONE BRANCH
> > to not merge together different features that need to be discussed
> > separately.
>
> I have done something wrong ? I created two branchs, one for urls, one for
> tools menu.

Don't know what. But your "urlbar links preview" implementation was present in
every merge request. So I fetched your code and "cherry-picked" (git help
cherry-pick) the related commits.

> > 3) Tools Menu mockup: for me, it's approved. We can implement it for 0.2
> > release as we need just to re-order actions. We can perhaps add there the
> > entire "help" menu to leave "configure" action in last place (the more
> > useful).
>
> Ok.
>
> > 4) Setting rekonq to not have at all the menubar is not perhaps a good
> > idea. Let's pass a release with the new Ui and we'll see better!
>
> Ok.
>
> > 5) Print Preview is (for me) a bugfix and I WANT IT! Please create a
> > branch, implement it and perform a merge request ASAP :)
>
> Ok, that was not clear.
>
> > 6) Clear Private Data is very good idea, but it needs a good
> > implementation, so it's surely ok, but postponed to 0.3
>
> Ok.
>
> > 7) ShortCuts && Toolbars settings in reKonfig menu are a NEW idea. Really
> > never seen it! Anyway, if we provide a so cool UI, we can think about
> > prevent people from change it. And also bookmarks toolbar is going to be
> > an obsolete concept: Chrome doesn't have and firefox is going to remove
> > it.
>
> You never saw because we are breaking the standard kde UI. And I think it
> is a good thing. The standard kde UI is good for complex applications like
> kdevelop. It is too heavy for a browser. People spend most of their time on
> their web browser, if we make an attractive browser, kde will be
> attractive.

You are surely right here. But my idea is: ok for shortcut, we can move them
there. But does people really need to CONFIGURE TOOLBARS? Or people does it
just because useful actions are not displayed correctly. I'm seriously
thinking about removing this feature.
And also about removing the bookmark toolbar (but this is another story..)

> > ----
> >
> > 8) "Action Contextual Menu" is another good idea. I'm not sure we need
> > that icon there, but I really like it.
>
> Advanced users don't need a copy button ^^. The idea of this mockup, is
> that the button automatically change. For example, the translator in one
> click would be a greet feature for me ^^.

Thanks to KDE, we can perhaps quickly implement this. Just fixing a bit the
actual contextual menu.

Code is in WebView::contextMenuEvent() function. We need just to add the
actions providing the related slots.

> > The 3rd mockup needs improvements because
> > I wanna find place somewhere there for icons that usually go in the (low
> > right position) status bar.
>
> Ok, You are right. Why not just after the text/url ? It may include other
> actions, like clear. But only displayed when the mouse is over the url bar.
> All the time it is ugly.

Yes, position after text/url is ok, I was also thinking about. But there I'd
like to put ALL important icons to notify user about:
- PrivateBrowsing
- KWallet (when we'll have it)
- Developer Extras Enabled
- ?