[rekonq] rekonq 0.1alpha

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 00:44:08 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 23:29:25 Paweł Prażak wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here we are, as decided some days ago, I merged on mainline/master a lot
> > of your commits.
> > I really like to thank you all for your incredible work on. Anyway,
> > without further ado, let's start seeing news:
> >
> > 1.
> > As we are saying that these are technological previews I fixed
> > compilation on
> > Qt 4.5 removing all 4.4 workaround. That's because 4.5 is an huge step
> > forward
> > against 4.4, especially on the classes we are using at most (tabwidget,
> > tabbar, webkit and so on..). I'm sure quite all are using 4.5, so it's a
> > small
> > issue..
>
> Yes, this is good idea. It will clean up some parts of the code :)
>
> > 2.
> > There are also kde 4.2 derived bugs. (e.g. tab text) I leaved unaltered
> > code
> > that works with KDE trunk, but not (well) with 4.2
>
> I think it would be better to leave it as we (me and avaddon) coded it,
> because otherwise you'll get a bug on 4.2 or 4.3.

On kde/trunk these bugs are not present. So it's just a 4.2 related problem.
I cannot understand what code you are referring. I said I did no changes
about.

> > 3.
> > new download system and modifications in the Application class to better
> > support it. QPointer(s) are really a great idea :)
> > I also modified a bit download class and removed QTimer notification.
> > It's my
> > fault. If someone is interested in, he can re-enable that.
>
> Timer is in place to make download progress bar possible.
> QPointers helped to track the deletion ofo objects when going to background
> download mode and back.
>
> > 4.
> > Side Panel. As requested rekonq 0.1 will have it. We sure have to work
> > about
> > the bookmarks panel (before releasing 0.1) and put it on.
> >
> > 5.
> > Bookmark classes improvements. All apart from one method I didn't
> > understand
> > and I never seen used.
>
> Some stuff there is in place to make future features possible.
>
> > 6.
> > Contextual menu. Here I did the major changes (in the code). I removed
> > the unuseful (for me) QMap actions and provided a KActionCollection for
> > all webActions.
>
> We don't really need action collection (and it's heavier than QMap) and it
> makes code cleaner and easier to read. There is no point in changing
> working code just to use KDE class instead of generic container.

Why you said it's heavier? I changed it just to let it be more readable. And
having in mind (future) "Configure shortcuts" dialog insertion

> 7.
>
> > moveable tabs, that is gratis, via Qt 4.5 functions.
> >

> > I hope I'm remembering ALL changes I did. Please from now on, sync one
> > your branch (master?) with mainline/master, test, code, suggest, do small
> > themable
> > commits and fill merge requests ;).
> > I'd like to release 0.1alpha on next tuesday (28 apr) and from there on
> > going
> > in bugfixing and translation mode until 0.1 release (when? I don't know).
> >
> > From now on, if you don't have different ideas, we need to work on two
> > essential aspects:
> > - the bookmarks sidepanel
> > - the focus problem
> >
> > About focus, I really cannot decide what is better to do, so I'm waiting
> > for
> > your suggestions (and your code ;) ).
>
> What's with the focus?
>
> > COPYRIGHT QUESTION
> > I added a string on every rekonq file: the following
> >
> > * Copyright (C) 2009 rekonq team. Please, see AUTHORS file for details *
> >
> > This means we need to do also two things:
> >
> > 1. update Authors file (important)
> >        here I wrote 3 columns: name, mail, role
> >        You just need to add yours and perform a merge request.
>
> I'm not sure about the role field, we don't have any roles, so it would be
> a bit artifitial.

You can just indicate there if you are a developer, an artist, a translator,
etc..

> 2. update main file (VERY important)
>
> >        here you need to add... I'm pushing one example commented in
> > main.cpp file.
> >
> > We can obviously remove the previous line and push all our names also on
> > every
> > file. I did this way just for convenience. Decide all together one way
> > and just
> > do it!!
>
> IMO this is bad idea. It's not how things are done. We can have AUTHORS
> file but leave the copyrights on per file basis.

About me it's ok, as said. I'll remove "rekonq team" string and search for
copyrights... ;)

> I'd like also rise a concern about backporting changes. It doesn't make
> sense, because it's easier to port your changes to our fork than vice versa
> and you shouldn't port (especially don't change) code that someone write
> and tested because you don't know why it was written this way and not
> another and the possibility of introducing new bug is big. I've run a diff
> and I see there are awful lot of things you didn'd ported and most of this
> is important stuff related to bugfixes and missing features. A lots pasts
> of code were revritten or heavy refactored and there is no sense in doing
> it again.

I really find difficult answering here.
Why if I write something and you modify it, this is an improvement and if I
change something backporting your code there are risks and possibility of
introducing new bugs?
Why your changes are critical or bugfix related and mine are "I didn't
understand so I removed it"?
I asked with first email about features and changes I didn't port. I never
received patches via mail or merge requests apart from avaddon's fixes to
localization system (added) and your infamous "I did a lot of things but I
cannot remember what".

> Also IMO you can't make a release without unittesting (and unit tests I've
> implemented are not even adopted in mainline yet), to make it right we need
> quite a few new tests to make sure the code can be released to anyone (even
> thou this is a preview).

I usually use (and see used) the shortcut "IMHO". but probably YOUR opinion is
not humble..

Regards

--
Andrea Diamantini,