[Raptor-Menu] Development status of the menu

Siraj Razick sirajr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 15:24:03 CEST 2008

Hi, Febien,
  Thank you for your interest, well Raptor has a history deeper than it's
design, To enlighten you on the fact, Kickoff and Raptor are not friends
they never were , and it will never be, If you need to call it software
politics thats fine too, I was working closely with plasma *once*, and it
finally came to a point we needed a menu. and on a meeting Aaron and Robert
Kinght choose to port Kickoff instead of helping raptor, clearly knocking us
of (*politics*) and that does not make me hate any one, so please don't
bring back kickoff (simply brings back old memories, and I can't concentrate
on any thing else) .  the reason for the lag was 100% our fault, we had too
many things to do, but for good reasons the raptor team is back.

Eventually the final implementation is going to be that raptor will a
plasmoid, we have a runtime to ease development, and please don't mistake
that to be the menu. but for this we don't need to make raptor dependent on
kickoff, if it's not dependent on plasma how can raptor run and a integrated
service ?  Raptor will have wrapper for loading many things and also allow
people to do waky things, add totally new models and views. And raptor team
has received many great desgins, and Ideas we need to support all of them,
unlike *certain* developers we are team with feelings, so we care about our
contributers and we need all of them to be happy, for example Nookie has
given some nice mockups and we will support them too, sitting on my seat, I
can't look very narrow only at kickoff integration , i must look at the
broader scope of the project, I hope you understand that :).

The plot to remove raptor from KDE still lurks around, and we the raptor
team will continue on our goals, and it might be in KDE or it might end up
kde Extras, we simply don't care about that :).

If some one needs to make kickoff look like Raptor, they will have to
consult Nuno on that, since it's his design and idea, and we don't want a
company stealing his deign without his approval. And raptor will not in any
time use / share code with kickoff for any reason!

IF Raptor does not depend on KDE <-> Plasma I will not even bother keeping
it in KDE svn. it's KDE and thats a definite rule!

I hope this clears out the kickoff mess. We have a design, we have a team,
we have a goal, and that is to make our users happy and make KDE the best
desktop experience they will get.

PS: I tried to avoid this email but It seems I had to :(

Thanks
Regards,
Siraj.