[Qtscript-bindings] Making releases

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 20:53:03 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Erik Hovland <erik at hovland.org> wrote:
>> Many Amarok developers are kind of annoyed by how long it takes to
>> compile Amarok now that we have the script generator, and I can't
>> really blame them.
>
> My first thought was 'What a bunch of whiny punks!?' But I am currently
> rebuilding after getting KDE 4.2 from intrepid-backports (word to the
> wise - you will have to manual install kdelibs5-dev). And guess what, it
> takes roughly half the time to build just the generator and the scripts.
> So I guess I should either go get a new set of cores or be a little more
> understanding.
>
>> So it'd make sense to have the script bindings in a
>> seperate package. Plus this way other projects could just depend on
>> the package and use the bindings, since at that point every distro
>> with Amarok would have it in a seperate package.
>>
>> I can think of a few ways to do this:
>> * Kent releases a versioned tarball
>> * I throw it into kdesupport and make tarballs from there
>> * I release a versioned tarball, with the
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/qtscriptgenerator.git as the VCS for it
>>
>> With the last two methods the versions would probably just be matched
>> with Amarok version. With the last method I could probably drop the
>> cmake files (unless Kent wants to adopt this superior build system,
>> hint hint :P).
>
> I prefer the first, since it means that whatever Amarok commits to the
> tree gets a wider set of users.

With the first option Amarok doesn't have a tree to commit to, so I
don't really follow. Anyways I probably prefer the first since its the
least work for me. ;)

> But I guess we might want to accept the
> reality that Amarok is easily the largest user of this project and so Kent
> is more likely to just eventually accept Amarok's changes in the end. If you do
> the last, I am more then likely to rebase my git tree on your repo instead of
> Kent's.

You make it sound pretty dramatic. I think the only difference between
our tree and Kent's is a couple of fixes for opensolaris that he
hasn't merged and the cmake files.

Ian