KDE Plasma Mobile testing results (v 2018/01/25)

Bhushan Shah bhush94 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 10:02:25 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 06:25:15PM +0000, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for filing those bugs for me. Yeah, VirtualBox has a strong
> tendency to do that, especially with Wayland. That's why I wanted to
> test on real hardware. Those issues in the video look a lot like what I
> was having, so probably not your fault.
>
> I'm using an NVidia Geforce GTX 645 (much like a GTX 550 I've heard), so
> that could be the problem. Presumably, your ISOs use Nouveau, which I've
> had issues with in the past. I do have Intel graphics on the same
> system, shall I try booting with those?

Yeah, in general people have better experience with Intel GPU instead of
Nvidia when trying wayland session.:

> I don't particularly want to remove my GPU, but I can just plug in
> through the integrated graphics port.
>
> As for QEMU, I have no idea, can't remember. Any known-working boot
> options? I know I gave it 2GB of RAM, but beyond that I've forgotten.

It really depends on the system you have,

qemu-system-x86_64 \
 -cdrom neon-pm-devedition-gitunstable-20180125-1502-amd64.iso \
 -device qxl-vga \
 -display sdl,gl=on \
 -m 2G -enable-kvm

If you have very recent version of kernel and QEMU, you can try that,
which uses the virgl interface and provides much stable experience, if
it is not possible.. you can use

qemu-system-x86_64 \
 -cdrom neon-pm-devedition-gitunstable-20180125-1502-amd64.iso \
 -vga qxl \
 -display sdl,gl=off \
 -m 2G -enable-kvm

You might need to enable KVM from your BIOS settings, there is plenty of
guides available online depending on your hardware.

> I have an older AMD-based laptop with Radeon graphics, would that be
> worth a try? Also, is there any way I can try the ARM builds, seeign as
> they are recommended? I have a raspberry Pi 1 B+, or could try in QEMU,
> but I have no idea how.

As for ARM boards, it is quite impossible to test it in the QEMU,
however you can try it on spare device maybe.. 2nd part of my blog post
explains possibilities about it :

http://blog.bshah.in/2018/02/02/trying-out-plasma-mobile-part-two/

Thanks

--