KDE Plasma Mobile testing results (v 2018/01/25)

Bhushan Shah bhush94 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 06:33:19 UTC 2018

Hello,

Sorry for taking long to respond,

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 07:58:31PM +0000, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> I've been excitedly following your work for a while now, so I jumped on
> the opportunity to do some Alpha testing for you, and also to see what
> the finished product might look like/how it might work.

Thanks for helping out testing. I've gone through bugs you have reported
in a email and have opened a tasks on phabricator board.

> I like it a lot, and I think it's well thought out. Desktop KDE apps
> seems to integrate well as well. However, I found quite a few bugs, and
> it crashed on me quite a lot. I tested on a couple of different systems
> (if you include virtualbox as different), so here are the issues I found.
>
> VirtualBox (2GB RAM, Intel i5-4440):

The main issue here is, VirtualBox which seems to cause following weird
crashes,

For example, see this different videos by community member

VirtualBox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaE09uhwl5o
QEMU/KVM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFawIzwYz8

Most of the issues you are mentioning (crash and flickering) are seems
to be related to Virtualbox, Given VirtualBox doesn't really have a
great wayland support.

> Crash after opening settings (only happened once). Seemed to go split
> screen or something like that.
>
> If I slide down from the top of the screen, and click on the icons to
> the lower right of the resulting menu, the whole overlay inches up the
> screen slightly each time I click an icon.

I can't really seem to reproduce it.. but reporting it neverthless.

https://phabricator.kde.org/T7991 .. though it might be virtualbox bug..
I don't really know.

https://phabricator.kde.org/T7990

https://phabricator.kde.org/T7989

> 16GB RAM, i5-4440 on bare-metal with DVD (same system as above):
>
> Instant crash (freeze and sometimes black screen) on both boot modes
> after loading desktop.

That's awkward, what graphics card do you have? if it's intel integrated
graphics it should do reasonably well.

> QEMU x86 (on same system):
>
> Freezes while booting up (could be my fault - not a QEMU expert).

Can you tell me the command line you used to boot up the VM?

Once again, thank you very much for testing this out.

--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in