qqc2-breeze-style

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Wed Mar 10 11:49:54 GMT 2021

This topic is being discussed under two different threads, so I am
starting fresh new thread,

I am not a maintainer of qqc2-breeze-style but more of user let's say
"end-user" for the qqc2-breeze-style, and honestly I am saddened by
tone of discussion we are seeing here :(

I will try to answer some questions here,

- Was qqc2-breeze-style rushed for Plasma Mobile?

Yes, Plasma theme was simply *not* performant on mobile device, we had
this issue known from very start that Plasma qqc2 theme have performance
issues, one of issue was SVG cache which is now solved in
plasma-framework master, performance issues were known back from very first
Plasma Mobile sprint back in 2019, that even desktop style provided better
performance then what Plasma qqc2 theme provided. We were meant to ship
few thousand mobile devices with Plasma Mobile to end-users and
performance shown by Plasma qqc2 theme was simply not acceptable, we
even performed several benchmarks on all styles including desktop style
and Plasma theme and qqc2-breeze-style was clear winner there.

So yes, I take full responsibility for approving usage of
qqc2-breeze-style on Plasma Mobile and I think that was necessary, I'd
rather have a small bugs then completely 20-30 FPS UI on mobile which Plasma
theme was offering in some cases.

- Was qqc2-breeze-style rushed for Plasma release schedule/inclusion?

I honestly do not think so, Noah sent message about moving of
qqc2-breeze-style to kdereview on Jan 7, and Jonathan moved it out of
kdereview, 3 weeks of time is *enough* to raise any objections, but we
got simply 0 emails, in parallel, several issues were found and several
issues were fixed when discussing in Plasma Mobile chat and other
private mediums, but no objections I know were raised in public thread
at all.

- Is qqc2-breeze-style better choice for the Plasma Desktop?

I do not know and I personally have no stakes here, Marco has raised
perfectly valid technical points in his email, and I think those should
be discussed/solved.

Regards.

--
Bhushan Shah