Plasma5Support

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:17:48 BST 2021

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 1:00 AM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi Marco,
> I'm not sure I fully understand what the plan is there. Why are you
> calling it plasma5support? Is it so it can be deprecated?

yes, the idea for dataengines and potentially other things is to be
deprecated and be gradually ported out of.

> The second link with the port got lost in the way somehow (you added
> the same URL twice). It might help understand what you have in mind.
sorry, the proper link is:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/810

> Including the dependency of the split out code should be fine indeed.
> On the other hand, the old DataEngine classes will need to stay to
> maintain ABI so maybe the DataEngine classes can also just stay as
> they are (?).

in the mr that ports the dataengines, you can see that in qml applets
every usage of PlasmaCore.DataSource must be ported to
Plasma5Support.DataSource so existing plasmoids can't "just work"
unless plasma5support lives in plasma-framework so
PlasmaCore.DataSource can use plsma5support (then the move to
workspace would be for plasma6)

--
Marco Martin