Monday meeting notes for 26/04/2021

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 12:01:34 BST 2021

Bhushan
* would appreciate review on
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/795

DavidR
* I've been investigating different context menues on wayland being
created as toplevels
* Which mostly boils down them missing a transientParent
* Currently looking the window decoration appMenu thing which is a bit harder
* Fixed pixelated user pictures in sddm
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/803
* I will try  to polish my ppd branches and make first MRs this week
* The problem with the appMenu is that we had no
keyboard/mousepress/touchdown event at all when we open the nested
menu on hover
* So Qt will create a toplevel and not a popup
[d_ed] how do we show the root menu?
[DavidRedondo] I bodged it to be frameless and set position with
plasmashell protocol Because we create it in kded
[d_ed] agree
* But toplevel for the nested things is bad because we then hide when
going to another toplevel
* It randomly closes sometimes

Arjen
* I wrapped up moving ksystemstats out of the ksysguard repo
* there were a few bits and pieces that needed to be fixed
* but now everything there is done and we no longer need ksysguard
* so we'll need to decide where to move ksysguard
* and we'll need to look at moving some other bits into the ksysguard repo
* there's a bunch of widget library stuff in libksysguard that I'd
like to move for example
* and there's the plasma dataengine
[notmart] plasma dataengine may need to stay where it is for plasma5 lifetime
* maybe we should move ksysguard it to extragear for 5.22, then we can
always move it to unmaintained later

Nico
* I did mostly KF6 things
* Deprecated some things
* Ported away from things
* One Plasma thing is
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kglobalaccel/-/merge_requests/19
* I don't like the code, but I don't have a better idea

Nate
Interesting stuff done:
- Added a drop shadow behind task manager thumbnails
- Added indexing monitoring to the Baloo KCM and the ability to pause
and resume it
- Deleted the file indexer KCM because it's now redundant, after the above
- Don't allow removing the home path from the Baloo KCM, because it doesn't work
- Changed the Show Desktop effects to completely hide windows rather
than showing phantoms in the corners
- Did some accessibility work for KCM grid delegates
- Removed accidentally-added default shortcuts for "Without
Confirmation" actions
Work that needs review:
- https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcmutils/-/merge_requests/44
[remove default shortcuts for dangerous "without confirmation" actions
from kcmutils (???)]
- https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/809
[Clarify battery monitor power management inhibition UI ]
- https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/811
[Overhaul battery monitor configuration and actions]
- https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kdeplasma-addons/-/merge_requests/69
and https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/897
[Disambiguate identical icons in Large Icons task switcher]

Carl
Merged all the calendar stuff and I have two merge requests already:
* https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/814
* https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/merge_requests/243
Before I work on it, is there any objections to try to enable the pim
calendar by default (if it is installed)?
[discussion is favorable to this]

Marco
# KF6 meeting
* Attended kf6 meeting on saturday ,would be cool if moar plasma
people would be present (not every time, but just a presence from time
to time to be sure the discussion doesn't get blocked by random plasma
tasks)
# Plasma
* Merged per-resolution layout save in plasma desktop
* More work on the standalone dataengine library called plasma5support
(other stuff can be thrown in). It has basic working but needs the qml
clients to be updated to new namespaces, which may not be great wrt
retrocompatibility in plasma5 lifetime. a solution may be putting the
new framework in plasma itself and have the old qml import using it
instead
# KF6 prep
* started a plasma5support library with just dataengines in it
# System Monitor
* A button to open bugzilla at the proper page [merged]
# Plasma Mobile
* More testing on horizontal homescreen scrolling
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-phone-components/-/merge_requests/153
# System Settings
* fixes for the indentation in the appearance category
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/systemsettings/-/merge_requests/64
* move the button to get more info in kcm controls
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kdeclarative/-/merge_requests/56
#this week:
will investigate more the per-resolution layout as got reverted with a crash