Proposal: move Klipper | Plasma Applet bugs into Plasmashell product

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Apr 12 18:56:24 BST 2021

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 4:01 AM David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
> >

> > On 4/12/21 9:15 AM, David Edmundson wrote:
> > > No objections.
> > >
> > > Be sure to CC sysadmins before doing bulk moves.
> >
> > Saying what? Also what qualifies as bulk?
>
> Please move Product blah to blah.
> They have some secret bugzilla that doesn't send 150 emails.
>
> > Also what qualifies as bulk?
>
> I know we get told off if we send too many, I don't know the precise
> threshold.
> I haven't wanted to test and find out!

There isn't an exact threshold.

The issue is that email providers (such as Google, Outlook.com - Microsoft,
Yahoo and GMX) keep track of email servers sending patterns.
Should we deviate from these patterns, then their systems will
automatically impose restrictions - including at times totally refusing to
accept further email.

It can also impact on decisions made by their spam filters, which can lead
to legitimate email going to spam folders and therefore being missed by
people. Depending on the age of the bug, it may also lead to people marking
email as spam - which will have an negative impact on the reputation
metrics they maintain, and increase the long term risk of email going to
the spam folder.

This impacts on much more than just Bugzilla, as all KDE.org
"transactional" email is sent through one server - so a block against
Bugzilla will also block email from Identity, Gitlab and Phabricator among
others.

It also has spillover implications to our mailing lists (which use a
separate server for handling their email) as all actions that take place on
Bugzilla lead to an email being sent to the kde-bugs-dist at kde.org mailing
list. Consequently, it will also knock out delivery for those providers
used by people subscribed to that list.

When we have had these incidents in the past it has sometimes taken several
days for the mail queue to drain for all of the involved providers and for
email delivery behaviour to totally return to normal. This was very
frustrating for the affected contributors at the time, and there was
nothing we could do for them except wait - and is therefore something we
should avoid.

> David
>
> > Nate

Regards,