D29798: [wallpapers/image] Add button to open lock screen and SDDM KCMs

Niccolò Venerandi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat May 16 16:40:11 BST 2020

niccolove added a comment.

  I'm a bit torn about this. It is indeed very nice, but at the same time I don't feel like it's the right solution. Ignoring minor complaints I'd have ("it's a very large button!") it doesn't feel right that the user, in order to change login wallpaper, would think that they have to right click on the desktop, click on edit desktop, click on "login and logout settings", and then change it. I think two other solutions that _might_ be better are:

  - Decide that login and lockscreen wallpapers are part of the desktop as much as the desktop wallpaper (which doesn't make sense tech-wise, but it might make sense user-wise), rename "Wallpaper" to "Desktop Wallpaper" in the Desktop Settings KCM and embed directly there "Lockscreen Wallpaper" and "Login screen theme". This would mean
    - Splitting the "Appearance" tab from the Screen Locking KCM to a new KCM called "Lockscreen Wallpaper" which would be in the customize desktop window, thus making the content of the Screen Locking KCM just the "activation tab", but adding a button "customize wallpaper..." which would open the "Lockscreen Wallpaper" KCM
    - Doing the same with the "Login Screen" KCM, which would be split in "Login Screen Theme" KCM (shown in customize desktop) and "Login Screen" KCM (shown in SySe) only containing what now is in the "Advanced" tab, but with a "Customize theme..." at the top. OR - probably better - have only one "Login Screen" KCM which only shows the theme selector and is both on the "customize desktop" and current location in system settings, and add "Advanced" as a button that open up a new kirigami page rather than using tabs.
    - All of which kinda feel ugly from a "let's categorize things based on how they work under the hood" point of view, but instead it could make sense from a "let's categorize things based on what the user expects" point of view.
  - OR, show the desktop configuration KCM is system settings, and somehow create a category there for wallpapers?
  - OR we just go with what you are proposing. I'm not against it, but I feel it's more of a "limiting damage" than a "let's fix the problem at the root"

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace