D28154: Add users KCM

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 24 03:53:16 GMT 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  Regarding groups, obviously if it isn't a part of this patch, then it isn't a part of this patch. I don't think it makes sense to WONTFIX the idea of it though. I not-infrequenrly wish for a GUI method of changing my user's group membership. Yes, I know how to do it using the CLI, but I find it easier and faster to use a GUI most of the time.

  Regarding removing the auto-login checkbox, I understand that this isn't the most technically appropriate place for it and it's already available somewhere else. I won't block the patch on this, but I do think it's nice to have it here too. This is IMO a pretty logical place for people to look for the setting.

  ---

  anywaybacktothepatchitself...

  Thanks for using a more conventional list style. I'm still not super happy about the list item for the current user being bigger though. It just feels kinda weird IMO: F8196116: Screenshot_20200323_214428.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8196116>

  The emergingstandard we're moving towards is making the text bold fur the current/default item in a list, and I think this qualifies.

  Also as you can see, the list item for my account doesn't display the user picture that's visible on the account page for some reason.

  I also noticed that the width threshold for switching to two-column view is so close to the minimum size of System Settings' window that some weird effects are produced: F8196118: vokoscreenNG-2020-03-23_21-39-08.webm <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8196118>

  The threshold should probably be reduced a bit so that you always see the two-column view in the System Settings app itself when the app is using its default/minimum window size. Same for when opened in KCMShell, or else it opens really small and my name gets cut off: F8196114: Screenshot_20200323_214240.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8196114>

  Various other KCMs set a more appropriate default size in KCMShell by setting their own `implicitWidth` and `implicitHeight` values on the root item.

  Oh and check this out: F8196119: vokoscreenNG-2020-03-23_21-48-55.webm <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8196119>

  One last UI regression I noticed: you can no longer set the account type during account creation; you now need to create the account, then select it, and change the type there. You should still be able to choose the type during account creation

INLINE COMMENTS

> metadata.desktop:4
> +Comment=Manage users
> +Icon=system-users
> +Keywords=

Don't change the icon. The old was appropriately using `preferences-system-users`

> user_manager.desktop:3
> +Exec=kcmshell5 user_manager
> +Icon=system-users
> +Type=Service