D28154: Add users KCM

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 20 17:17:45 GMT 2020

ngraham added subscribers: nicolasfella, ngraham.
ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Nice, this KCM was in desperate need of a rewrite. I've got some concerns though:

  Since the new KCM's name (`kcm_user`) does natch the name of the old one (`user_manager`) this will require a change in System Settings to actually make it appear. Also for some reason it does not show up to `kcmshell` list:

    kcmshell5 --list | grep -i user
    kcm_feedback               - Configure user feedback settings
    kcm_fonts                  - Configure user interface fonts
    solid-actions              - Manage actions available to the user when connecting new devices
    user_manager               - Add, remove or edit system users
    useragent                  - Configure the User Agent exposed by the HTTP kioslave

  However running `kcmshell5 kcm_user` works.

  As for the UI, I'm not a fan of the floating cards list that doesn't look like a list or have correct shadows on the sides and uses gigantic cards with mostly whitespace. I just don't think this looks good at all: F8186571: Screenshot_20200320_110035.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8186571>

  This should use a more conventional UI with a framed list view that has defined borders and a background. If that list has cards in it, they need proper margins so that their shadows don't get cut off. But I don't really think cards make sense here. These are not rich delegates; they're fairly conventional list items with an icon and some labels, that's it. I don't think there's any problem with the list in the current KCM.

  Also there are various feature regressions:

  - You can no longer select images from the gallery for your user avatar
  - You can no longer set up auto-login here

  And some other UI issues:

  - The text field for specifying the full name is no longer labeled so it's no longer clear what that text field is used for if it's empty or set to a weird value
  - The avatar no longer has a buttonlike appearance so it's no longer visually obvious that you can click on it to do things with it
  - When you click on the avatar to show a menu, you can't dismiss that menu by clicking in empty areas of the page or on the avatar again
  - That menu appears right under your cursor instead of anchored to the bottom of the button that spawned it, like other menus behave
  - When the window is large enough to show both the users list and the user details view, the multi-page KCM navigation bar doesn't disappear, even though it's useless and clicking on the various parts of it has no effect
  - The list item corresponding to the currently viewed user is not always highlighted

  Also, were we going to add a UI to modify a user's group membership here? I seem to recall seeing that on a rough early version of @nicolasfella's version. That's the most urgently needed feature.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop