D28025: [Baloo KCM] Complete overhaul of the include/exclude folder list

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 19 22:20:48 GMT 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  In D28025#630849 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28025#630849>, @bruns wrote:

  > Having only inclusion/exclusion is a temporary state. I plan to add more settings for each path, so having an "add" button for each possible state will no longer be feasible.
  >
  > Also, "removing" a path from the "included"  list is not the same as excluding it - the state depends on the state of its next ancestor. This exact type of mixup has led to the messy state the current KCM is in.

  Then maybe we should rethink the UI, because that's what it currently suggests. What are the other states you're planning to add?

  > The Items are inspired by the Desktop Effects KCM. I have searched through the HIG for considerable time, unfortunately it lacks any specific information what to do, or any usable examples. If you can provide any examples where you think it is done the "right way (TM)", please go for it.

  Yeah, we need to add more examples and better guidance to the HIG for sure. However you must be looking at an old version of the Desktop Effects KCM because the git master version shows what I'm talking about:  F8185313: Screenshot_20200319_161856.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8185313>

  You can also look at the Desktop effects KCM, the Activities KCM, or Discover's Settings page.

  > The search/excluded icons are just the first implemented state column. There will be more columns. Having the full state in textual form for each entry will look awkward, and having it in textual form only will make it much harder to get the current state for a given path.
  >
  > More fine granular settings have been requested several times. Having a content indexer run on ~/Downloads poses a security risk. Running full-text indexing on ~/Documents/MyCppProjects/ is definitely subject to a users preference, while most users would expect ~/Pictures/, ~/Videos/ and ~/Music/ to be scanned for metadata.
  >
  > The current model and visual representation are complete nonsense, from a programmers as well as a users view. This definitely gets the model in a usable and extensible state, and shows the real state to the user (instead of showing some invented entries, and leaving out the other real half), and also makes it configurable. The important part here is the model. The view/delegate can be extended even by some person who is not familiar with baloo internals.

  In general I'm not a fan of patches that change both the backend and UI and say, "well, we can make a better UI later." Let's do it now, or we might forget to do it later, or do the backend bits in a way that make it impossible to do the UI in a user-friendly way. It wounds like what we really need here is a true multi-column table, like the one in the git master version of the System Tray applet.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop