D28025: [Baloo KCM] Complete overhaul of the include/exclude folder list

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 19 20:58:58 GMT 2020

bruns added a comment.

  In D28025#630729 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28025#630729>, @ngraham wrote:

  > I have some UI suggestions:
  >
  > - Have a button to add an exclusion path as well as a button to add an inclusion path, rather than a single Add Setting button, which is a rather jargony, programmer-centric way of presenting the feature.

  Having only inclusion/exclusion is a temporary state. I plan to add more settings for each path, so having an "add" button for each possible state will no longer be feasible.

  Also, "removing" a path from the "included"  list is not the same as excluding it - the state depends on the state of its next ancestor. This exact type of mixup has led to the messy state the current KCM is in.

  > - For consistency, use the typical way of assigning actions to Kirigami SwipeListItems, rather than implementing custom button appearance and behavior. If you did this because the Kirigami SwipeListItem has no provision to display an inline action with text as well as an icon, let's change the component to support that.

  The Items are inspired by the Desktop Effects KCM. I have searched through the HIG for considerable time, unfortunately it lacks any specific information what to do, or any usable examples. If you can provide any examples where you think it is done the "right way (TM)", please go for it.

  > - Instead of having the list item expand when clicked to reveal whether it's included or excluded, display that information in textual form in the same line, and no need to repeat the same path. This would optionally allow you to remove the magnifying glass and minus sign icons.

  The search/excluded icons are just the first implemented state column. There will be more columns. Having the full state in textual form for each entry will look awkward, and having it in textual form only will make it much harder to get the current state for a given path.

  More fine granular settings have been requested several times. Having a content indexer run on ~/Downloads poses a security risk. Running full-text indexing on ~/Documents/MyCppProjects/ is definitely subject to a users preference, while most users would expect ~/Pictures/, ~/Videos/ and ~/Music/ to be scanned for metadata.

  The current model and visual representation are complete nonsense, from a programmers as well as a users view. This definitely gets the model in a usable and extensible state, and shows the real state to the user (instead of showing some invented entries, and leaving out the other real half), and also makes it configurable. The important part here is the model. The view/delegate can be extended even by some person who is not familiar with baloo internals.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop