D27808: [Fonts KCM] Port KFontDialog/KFontChooser to QFontDialog

Ahmad Samir noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 10 09:23:52 GMT 2020

ahmadsamir added a comment.

  In D27808#625186 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27808#625186>, @meven wrote:

  > In D27808#625181 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27808#625181>, @ahmadsamir wrote:
  >
  > > And another question, "General", "Menu", "Toolbar", how many users actually set these three to individual font families/styles/sizes?
  >

  > If anything this is just not relevant here. Either you port things away from kde4support or you change the behavior but the two things should not be done together.
  >  Generally the community has rarely removed any working features and this is a kind of feature plasma is known for : customization.

  That wasn't my intention (I mean changing it in this diff), it was a BTW kind of thought/question "is this still needed/used nowadays?", I was thinking of posting the question to the frameworks ML... but was afraid it might start a flame/bike-shedding conundrum there, so I asked here instead :)

  > In D27808#625064 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27808#625064>, @ahmadsamir wrote:
  >
  >> In D27808#625052 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27808#625052>, @meven wrote:
  >>
  >> > Porting with such feature regression is hard to justify.
  >>

  >> I honestly don't know how many users actually use that feature; if it's still widely used, then yeah, that would definitely be a feature regression.
  >>
  >> > Perhaps we should port KFontDialog (it is ~150 lines of cpp) to kwidgetsaddons instead, `KFontChooser` is already there.
  >> >  Or better perhaps implement here a simple QDialog embedding `KFontChooser` and providing equivalent features needed here that KFontDialog has.
  >> >  This is a typical work we did for KF5 https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes
  >>
  >> Since, AFAICS, only the fonts KCM uses that functionality, it might be better to move/copy KFontDialog to the KCM, and maybe rename it; it'd be a helper class of sorts.
  >

  > Moving KFontDialog would imply porting it to QDialog anyway.
  >  But license might get in the way since kdelibs4support is LGPL and plasma is GPL.
  >  It would mean the moved KFontDialog would stay LGPL in a GPL codebase. Which is possible but not recommendable at all.
  >
  >>> implement here a simple QDialog embedding `KFontChooser` and providing equivalent features needed here that KFontDialog has.
  >
  > I would suggest you this simpler way to do it, but the code of this QDialog helper would be loosely inspired by KFontDialog anyway but not LGPL.
  >  In the end that's pretty much the same thing as you suggested but better keep license potential issues at bay ;)

  Good point(s). :D

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop