Gitlab merge workflow: reverse it?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 18:49:16 BST 2020

> You have this button from commit page, not merge request page.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/9kgdpVy.png

Found it, that's perfect thanks.

That's also a useful feature in the current workflow.
Seems you can cherry-pick a commit in a work/branch to a new merge request.

> If you use git cherry-pick with -x option, git automatically adds this
> message in commit.

That's handy. Clearly it's a common workflow then.

> >   - without making people commit locally into stable, could it encourage
> > people to not test as much?
>
> I did not actually suggest using Web UI but using the git operation
> locally. And in fairness either way we do end up with one bit where
> thing is untested,

It was the use of the web UI that I thought might encourage it, as then
you're not even changing branches locally to test things.
You're right that changing the workflow doesn't necessarily mean changing
that.

And yes, it's a problem already, which is why I don't want it getting worse!

There's another advantage in this pattern we've not discussed yet. We can
commit something to master, test for a few days and only then decide to
cherry-pick to stable, that could potentially improve some things.

David