Gitlab merge workflow: reverse it?

Bhushan Shah bshah at mykolab.com
Thu Jun 25 16:53:51 BST 2020

Hello!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 03:59:10PM +0100, David Edmundson wrote:
> Gitlab supposedly has a magic button for it just after a commit has landed
> in master.
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/cherry_pick_changes.html
>
> Though I don't know how to trigger that in our UI.

You have this button from commit page, not merge request page.

https://i.imgur.com/9kgdpVy.png

> cherry-pick backwards.
> In principle I completely agree.
>
> I have a few fears, which I hope are all addressable.
>
>   - we need some reference to the real commit.
>
> Qt adds
> "    (cherry picked from commit 6de0287d7c3aa4251fe6eb4f970d73ce11cf07fc)"
> to the commit message automagically somehow in their workflow.

If you use git cherry-pick with -x option, git automatically adds this
message in commit.

>   - without making people commit locally into stable, could it encourage
> people to not test as much?

I did not actually suggest using Web UI but using the git operation
locally. And in fairness either way we do end up with one bit where
thing is untested,

Currently,

- Start with change in master -> should it go into stable? -> change
  branch -> accepted

This workflow does not gurantee that developer tested it before changing
target branch anyway.

> > For now I am proposing this change only for Plasma repositories if we
> > like it, we can propose this workflow for rest of KDE repositories, but
> > that needs discussions in kde-devel/kde-core-devel separately.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> I like consistency across KDE, otherwise it's very difficult for people who
> contribute in N places.
> We should at least email before we change, though we can still discuss
> things here first.

What I meant was, test-drive this for small amount of one or two plasma
repositories and if that works better, we can then ask people for
adapting changes across KDE giving example.

--
Bhushan Shah
http://blog.bshah.in