monday meeting notes for 8/6/2020

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:12:14 BST 2020

Kai Uwe
plasma-browser-integration:
 * Compress and reduce MediaSession updates, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/merge_requests/3
    * This is in prepartion for being able to cache the album art locally
PowerDevil:
 * Added smooth brightness change for sysfs, so most devices should
get animated brightness change again
     * Triggers an issue in Battery Monitor's brightness slider
handling where it doesn't always set the brightness chosen
 * Add charge threshold setting (e.g. for ThinkPads)
     * Please review https://invent.kde.org/plasma/powerdevil/-/merge_requests/5
     * Also needs some UX improvements for Battery Monitor since
UPower isn't aware of the charge limit and thinks "charging 79%" when
at 80% charge limit
 Solid:
 * Add imobiledevice backend for finding iOS devices, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/solid/-/merge_requests/6
 Other:
 * Wrote an AFC (Apple File Conduit) KIO slave for accessing iOS
devices, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-extras/-/merge_requests/7
     * Will write a patch for KFilePlacesModel to find those similar to MTP
     * Unfortunately, while Dolphin uses it, the URL handling is in
Dolphin, so I fear there could be transient breakage where Dolphin
thinks AFC device is MTP when mixing newer Frameworks with older
Dolphin

Bhushan
* We upgraded gitlab to Gitlab 13.0 last weekend, which includes the
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/issues/design_management.html
feature
* So VDG can make use of it
* Virtual sprint at end of this week \o/ : some more information at :
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2020-June/117530.html

Nico
* I did some work on the PlaMo dialer
* Which means throwing out some old code and porting it to
Kirigami.SwipeNavigator
* Then I worked a bit on Koko, which suddenly got a lot of interest
* And I started working on a redesigned Autostart KCM
* For which I have a question:
  ** Is there a meaningful difference between the scripts in
autostart-scripts and plasma-workspace/env ?
  [d_ed]: yes, they run at a different time, one gets executed as
start -and-forget the other is blocked on execution with any changes
to the env kept
  [nicofee]: hm, IMO we should either drop one from the UI or make
that distinction more clear
  [d_ed]: the behaviour is needed still, but yeah, we could
potentially drop the UI

David E
* I have a big patchset to do a systemd boot of plasma. The
pre-requisite patches upstream have just landed into systemd
* so all existing .dekstop files get a magic generator and everything
"just works"
* I should probably move it to gitlab and give it a rebase, but IMHO
this patchset is now ready to go
* it would still be opt-in for a while
  [fvogt] So essentially two entirely independent code paths for startup?
  [d_ed] yes and no, we've already broken everything down into lots of
tiny parts and that's merged already
* systemd startup replaces just the one executable "plasma-session"
but shares the rest
* So it's hopefully not too much burden. Especially given that we've
cleaned up plasma-session a lot from the mess that was in ksmserver
* I'll move it to gitlab so you all see the merge request and
hopefully that will encourage some more people to give feedback
* we should start porting onFoo to function onFoo() {} as we depend on 5.14 now

Arjen
* I've mostly been busy with the new KSysGuard UI
* it can be found at https://invent.kde.org/ahiemstra/ksysguardqml
* it makes use of the stats daemon and other bits that landed in 5.19
* specifically, I've been working on making it support custom page
creation and editing
* which now all seems to work, it still requires a bunch of polish
* but this should be able to get into 5.20

Jonathan
* release tomorrow, are we all ready?
* and then do I need to do something to schedule a plasma 5.20 kickoff
meeting at this virtual sprint? (after discussion agreed it was the
good time)

David R
* Qt patch still not merged, distros will need to include it
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdeclarative/+/300187
* I did https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/26
* Some nitpicks still but would be ready then I think if non one objects

Aleix
* I'm still working on the screencast business, it's getting there.
Last is that I've noticed that there's some dmabuf file descriptors
that don't get cleaned up and I can't find them, debugging this (as it
makes kwin crash eventually)
* but other than that it's running smoothly and will be ready to merge
soon, would like to clean the MR to merge this week, want to have it
all polished first though
* but other than that it's running smoothly and will be ready to merge
soon, would like to clean the MR to merge this week, want to have it
all polished first though

Marco
a bit shorter week as tuesday was a national holiday
# Plasma
* fixed the issue of graph colors restore from config
* ksysguardqml no longer shows checkboxes in menu where it shouldn't
* restarting my ancient kdescendantproxymodel branch for collapsible trees
* accessing to applet geometry via scripting
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-workspace/-/merge_requests/32
still open
* from the above depends
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/21 to
replace the kdeplasma-addons "systemloadviewer"
# Kirigami
* some experiments on transition animations with shaders
* experiment (in a branch) for user resizable drawers, sidebars and
maybe page columns