Feature requests re: 5.18 changes

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Tue Feb 25 09:43:52 GMT 2020

Hi Derek,

> First, I liked the old notification style with the linear countdown meter; I don't know what about the new style rubs
> me the wrong way, but I think it would be neat to have a toggle in notification settings to switch between countdown
> meter styles.

Is it misaligned for you?

> Similarly, I noticed Breeze added a border to the scrollbar in 5.18. In my opinion, this makes the interface look more
> bulky and bubbly, and especially on my Konsole windows bugs me something fierce. I think it would make sense to
> add a Breeze scrollbar option for trough borders instead of forcing it on users.

I dislike our general lack of confidence in visual matters, resulting in
"we don't reaaaally like what we just did, so let's make an option to
try to please everyone".

While I am quite unhappy with the scroll bar change, especially that it
went in at the last minute and is still causing fall out all over the
place, they should stay like this now.

> If it's not on anybody's radar, I'd be glad to poke around the source and try these changes myself, but I hope
> somebody who's already familiar with the source and the nitty-gritty of the changes between 5.17 and 5.18 has my
> back.

I won't implement an option for the notification indicator but if you
want to, go ahead, as long as it doesn't cause too much spaghetti code,
I won't be opposed to it. And while at it, we could then also have an
option to hide the indicator entirely, perhaps a ComboBox in settings of
sorts:

Hide after: [5 seconds v^]
Timeout indicator style: [None|Circular|Vertical]

Cheers
Kai Uwe