D26035: battery: Improve the brightness responsiveness

Frans de Jonge noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Feb 22 20:11:17 GMT 2020

frenzie added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> PopupDialog.qml:73
>              KeyNavigation.backtab: batteryList
> +            stepSize: batterymonitor.maximumScreenBrightness/100
> +

Because it's artificially limited to 100 positions, this change makes it impossible to set a value by clicking on a position or by dragging the slider with the pointer. It snaps to one of the 100 positions and the precision we want just isn't there.

On my laptop the slider currently consists of ~582 pixels in width. (Just a quick screenshot selection-based estimate; the exact value is irrelevant other than to point out that it's very unlikely to be less than ~450 and extremely likely to be much more.) The organic limit is therefore 582 on my laptop. In the example given above, 7000/582 = 12.

I assume there has to be reason for this change, so an organic limit would mean something along the lines of:

  stepSize: batterymonitor.maximumScreenBrightness / this.width

But intuitively it seems that a slider would have to do that all by itself no matter what, which just leaves me confused as to what the purpose behind this line is.

I hope it can simply be removed.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace