D27422: [KCM]Update Device item layout based on applet

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 18 05:14:10 GMT 2020

ngraham accepted this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  LGTM. #plasma <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/plasma/> folks?

  In D27422#612797 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D27422#612797>, @gvgeo wrote:

  > Remove PlasmaComponents.
  >
  > So.. why all these different distinctions exist?

  History.

  The original PlasmaComponents was created first, after QML was invented, but before QtQuick. Then QtQuick was invented, and PlasmaComponents was re-done to be based on it and called "PlasmaComponents2". Then QtQuick2 was invented, and "PlasmaComponents3" was created with the expectation to porting to that.

  In the meantime, people started to want to use QML for non-Plasma user interfaces. So a QQC2 desktop style bridge was created, hence the qqc2-desktop-style framework. However people were not satisfied with the primitive state of QQC2 components so we started to make higher-level versions (e.g. drawers, pages with toolbars and navigation) and called it Kirigami.

  I expect in the future that PlasmaComponents (all versions) will go away, and if we want to retain some plasma-specific styling, that will be done in a different way that does not require a separate component library. See T11558 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T11558>.

REPOSITORY
  R115 Plasma Audio Volume Applet

BRANCH
  kcmports2