Integration of layer-shell in plasma

Vlad Zahorodnii vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org
Fri Aug 28 08:21:44 BST 2020

On 8/28/20 9:13 AM, Bhushan Shah wrote:
> FTR: There's already out-of-tree installation of qtwayland shell
> integration plugin from Drew : https://github.com/ddevault/qtlayershell/

That looks very promising! However, we still need to address a couple of
issues:

* QtWayland doesn't allow to use more than one shell integration plugin
at a time. Things such as configuration dialogs and so on are backed by
xdg_toplevel surfaces. On the other hand, panels and notifications must
be backed by layer_surface objects

* The xdg-shell integration plugin must call layer_shell.get_popup in
order to set the parent surface for a popup before the initial commit is
performed; otherwise kwin will post a protocol error and plasmashell
will crash

> I am not sure how much active it is but it is definitely worth trying
> out. Drew had worked on it during one of Plasma Sprint in Berlin:
>
> https://drewdevault.com/2018/04/28/KDE-Sprint-retrospective.html

Sigh, the human memory sucks, 2 out of 5 stars, not good. I remember
checking out the blog post and qtlayershell repo a couple of years ago
and for some reason it slipped my mind when I was writing the email. :(

Cheers,
Vlad