KSysguard - CGroup functionality breakage

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Aug 19 20:38:18 BST 2020

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:09 AM Arjen Hiemstra <ahiemstra at heimr.nl> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 19 August 2020 12:29:21 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Recently functionality was introduced to KSysguard to allow it to
> > interact with Linux CGroups.
> >
> > Unfortunately when this change was made the code in question used
> > classes/functionality that was introduced in Qt 5.15. This has had the
> > effect of breaking the CI system as can be observed in the following
> > Dependency Builds:
> >
> > https://build.kde.org/job/Administration/job/Dependency%20Build%20Extragear%
> > 20kf5-qt5%20SUSEQt5.14/32/console
> >
> > Could someone please take a look?
>
> It was decided a while ago that Plasma 5.20 is going to depend on Qt 5.15. See
> also https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2020-July/117989.html .
> libksysguard isn't the first one to use Qt 5.15 only features, but I suppose it
> is the first one that other things depend upon.
>
> I don't really know what the policy is here, so I made https://invent.kde.org/
> plasma/libksysguard/-/merge_requests/61 to restore 5.14 support, since I can
> imagine updating all the extragear things to Qt 5.15 right now isn't ideal.

Thanks for fixing this, it's appreciated.

I've taken a look at the Dependency Metadata and can confirm that
libksysguard appears to be the only project in Plasma that projects
outside of Plasma depend on.
(With the exception of plasma-workspace, which Apper requires apparently)

Perhaps we could keep libksysguard as having a minimum dependency of
Qt 5.14 as an exception to the general rule in Plasma, due to it's use
by software in Release Service / Extragear?

> - Arjen

Cheers,
Ben