Monday Meeting Notes for 10/08/2020

David Redondo kde at david-redondo.de
Mon Aug 10 11:50:14 BST 2020

Nico:
- Update Flatpak runtime to KF5 5.73 https://invent.kde.org/packaging/flatpak-kde-runtime/-/merge_requests/17
- Tweak some margins in the dialer: https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/
plasma-dialer/-/merge_requests/20
- Some code cleanup in Kongress
- Fix passive notification padding when using Plasma style: https://
invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/merge_requests/72
- Allow refreshing device list in kdeconnect-app: https://invent.kde.org/
network/kdeconnect-kde/-/merge_requests/306
- Cleanup kirigami app template: https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kirigami/-/
merge_requests/71
- Fix PC3 toolbar https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/
merge_requests/62 https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/plasma-framework/-/
merge_requests/63

Arjen:
- so the biggest thing is that I merged the actiontoolbar rewrite to Kirigami
last week which had a bit of fallout (as I kinda expected) and a few more
issues popped up
- the fallout was mostly windows build failing (which is fixed) and the unit
test failing (which is ongoing)
- the main issue now remaining is that toolbuttons with menus don't display
correctly when non-flat which turns out to be a problem with breeze since that
lacks menu arrows for instant-popup toolbuttons
- the plan there is to add that functionality to breeze, then fixup qqc2-
desktop-style and kirigami to make use of it
- there's also a Qt bug I filed because the toolbutton change I did triggers a
very unexpected binding loop
see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-85941

David E:
- I merged the wayland klipper side
- It exposes a race at a protocol level - clipbord replacements in wayland
aren't necessarily atomic
- I have a horribly bodgy workaround, but it seems to work - I have yet to
fully merge the workaround
- Nvidia did a big update and it's caused a mess :/
   systemsettings randomly will stop showing the sidebar even after restarting
systemsettings
   so there must be something about creating multiple contexts in one app? Not
sure of the details, fortunately I can now reproduce that
   But this potentially could end up quite a major problem if we don't
diagnose what's wrong and get a fix soo

Kai Uwe:
plasma-browser-integration:
* Released version 1.7.6 \o/
    * https://blog.broulik.de/2020/08/plasma-browser-integration-1-7-6/
* Patch to calculate transfer speed manually if download size isn't known,
please review: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/
merge_requests/8
* Split "page" context menus from links
* There's a regression in the release on Firefox where right clicking on an
empty are in the page doesn't offer KDE Connect sharing anymore, please
review: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-browser-integration/-/
merge_requests/9
  * Might warrant doing a 1.7.6.1 for Firefox
* Also added the share entry to the tab bar, so you can right click a tab to
send it
PowerDevil:
* Introduce dedicated "turn off keyboard backlight" action, please review:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/powerdevil/-/merge_requests/17
  * Especially some hints on how to make a proper kconf update script would be
appreciated
    [hint were given by d_ed, see https://phabricator.kde.org/P628]
* Remove shortcut migration code, please review: https://invent.kde.org/
plasma/powerdevil/-/merge_requests/16
* Fixed keyboard backlight not turning back on when closing the lid to suspend
and then waking back up
KWin:
* Apply maximize animation also to full screen changes: https://
invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/171
* d_ed had the idea of installing the effect twice and then using plugin ID to
distinguish the two, so we have a dedicated "full screen" effect
    * Will need to look into that, might need to expose the plugin ID through
KWin effects API first
Solid:
* Anything else left for imobile backend? https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/
solid/-/merge_requests/9

Aleix:
- I've been mostly working on the input method v1 support for wayland which is
mostly ready right now, it has some annoyances with maliit that I'm looking to
polish so not to break plasma mobile
- I think I've hit some kind of bug deep in Qt so there's that...
- but it only happens when explicitly closing the keyboard other than that it
works well
- all screencasting stuff should be merged, I hope you all are testing it
already :D
- [d_ed]: there's been some Qt upstream reviews for keyboard input stuff
lately, I don't know if it's relevant
-my problem is related to issuing the set_input_mask call
- it's in wl_surface
- null requests are never issued for some reason; issued or received, one of
those

Marco:
# Plasma
* made breeze decoration use global animation duration
* made a branch for the top headerbar area in breeze qstyle different approach
to one by Jan, but that has problems as well... i guess hacky thing is hacky
(giving up in trying to have fluid animations: i guess the only way to make it
work is the (hacky) thing some style do of having all windows argb and have
toolbard background transparent, so the background comes from the titlebar...
that or we kill completely titlebar animations (or give up with the header
idea as it clases a lot with the architecture of everything).
* please review https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kitemmodels/-/
merge_requests/2  :(
# Plasma Mobile
* tasks thumbnails for the plamo task switcher (here with animations
artificially slowed down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu7i7eWm7dI)

David R:
## Plasma
- fix running count badge appearing behind items in widget explorer
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/91
- fix taskmanager group visualization options fallbacks
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/96
- add an about page to config dialog of plasmoids
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/63
## Ksysguard
- Use Formatter enum instead having a copy of it in ksystemstats
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/ksysguard/-/merge_requests/28
- Implement selection of action face
https://invent.kde.org/ahiemstra/ksysguardqml/-/merge_requests/26
## qqc2-desktop-style