Unannounced new dependency in plasma-desktop

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sat Aug 8 13:23:12 BST 2020

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 12:43:49 BST Rik Mills wrote:
> On 08/08/2020 12:22, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen wrote:
> > On Friday, 7 August 2020 22:55:20 BST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> >> Hi Plasma Developers,
> >>
> >> It appears that in the past 24 hours you have introduced new
> >> dependencies in the plasma-desktop repository without announcing them
> >> 2 weeks in advance beforehand.
> >>
> >> This can be seen in the CI system failures at
> >> https://build.kde.org/view/Failing/job/Plasma/job/plasma-desktop/
> >>
> >> Could we please get an explanation as to why this was not requested in
> >> advance as is supposed to happen?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ben
> >>
> >   This one is on me, i guess? The reason for this is that this new
> >   dependency
> >
> > was on a framework rather than an external dependency, and i was led to
> > believe that adding such a dependency to the repo metadata would be
> > sufficient.
>
> kaccounts (build dep) is part of the release service (formally KDE
> Applications), not a framework.
>
> libaccounts-qt (build dep) and signon-plugin-oauth2 (runtime) are not
> frameworks, or a KDE project.
>
> There is also no information in cmake as to minimum required versions of
> these.

i've done a merge request[1] with a build fix (by making it all optional), and
the metadata will need reverting as well and the full bureaucracy will need
implementing for this dependency. It seems really silly to me, and i have no
idea how kaccounts-integration makes sense as an application, but this is
where we are, i guess. Not blaming anybody other than myself here, just
flailing my arms in confusion in what is usually a much more reasonably laid
out sort of thing ;)

[1] https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/merge_requests/99

--
..dan / leinir..