Unannounced new dependency in plasma-desktop

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Aug 8 13:22:05 BST 2020

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 11:22 PM Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
<admin at leinir.dk> wrote:

> On Friday, 7 August 2020 22:55:20 BST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Hi Plasma Developers,
> >
> > It appears that in the past 24 hours you have introduced new
> > dependencies in the plasma-desktop repository without announcing them
> > 2 weeks in advance beforehand.
> >
> > This can be seen in the CI system failures at
> > https://build.kde.org/view/Failing/job/Plasma/job/plasma-desktop/
> >
> > Could we please get an explanation as to why this was not requested in
> > advance as is supposed to happen?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben
>
>   This one is on me, i guess? The reason for this is that this new dependency
> was on a framework rather than an external dependency, and i was led to
> believe that adding such a dependency to the repo metadata would be
> sufficient.

You are correct that adding dependencies on projects within KDE as a
general rule does not require announcement.

It appears in this case however that this had the effect (somehow) of
causing external dependencies to also be added, as can be seen in the
Dependency Build job logs. See
https://build.kde.org/job/Administration/job/Dependency%20Build%20Plasma%20kf5-qt5%20FreeBSDQt5.15/lastFailedBuild/console
for an example of this.

06:47:31  -- Checking for module 'signon-oauth2plugin'
06:47:31  --   Package 'signon-oauth2plugin', required by
'virtual:world', not found
06:47:31  CMake Error at
/usr/local/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:497 (message):
06:47:31    A required package was not found
06:47:31  Call Stack (most recent call first):
06:47:31    /usr/local/share/cmake/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:681
(_pkg_check_modules_internal)
06:47:31    CMakeLists.txt:72 (pkg_check_modules)

I suspect this may be a bug in kaccounts-integration, which is
checking for additional dependencies when other projects try to use
it, that it does not require when it is built. These find calls are
either for runtime purposes, or outdated and need removing.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Ben