D29312: Change microphoneindicator for reporting audio monitors

Nicolas Fella noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 30 20:52:33 BST 2020

nicolasfella added a comment.

  In D29312#660702 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29312#660702>, @kurmikon wrote:

  > In D29312#660670 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29312#660670>, @nicolasfella wrote:
  >
  > > > but due to a lack in qt libraries
  > >
  > > Can you elaborate on this? What is Qt lacking?
  >

  > I'm not an expert, so I don't really know. Reading the bug report, there's no way to discern input devices from monitor sinks. So if you want to report applications that are using a microphone, you end up showing applications like PuseEffects that create a monitor sink. Those applications can use a microphone but in most cases don't, because PulseEffects is mostly used to apply effects to output streams (but need to record those streams effectively).

  Qt is not really involved in this. What matters is what libpulse offers, and it seems to me that we can check whether a sink is a monitor (https://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/doxygen/structpa__source__info.html#a5e304b796ce71c7fa54e5a88f3333630). One would need to add a method isMonitor to Sink that reads this information and then we can not show the indicator when it's a monitor

REPOSITORY
  R115 Plasma Audio Volume Applet