D29312: Change microphoneindicator for reporting audio monitors

Giusy Margarita noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 30 20:43:53 BST 2020

kurmikon added a comment.

  In D29312#660670 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29312#660670>, @nicolasfella wrote:

  > > but due to a lack in qt libraries
  >
  > Can you elaborate on this? What is Qt lacking?

  I'm not an expert, so I don't really know. Reading the bug report, there's no way to discern input devices from monitor sinks. So if you want to report applications that are using a microphone, you end up showing applications like PuseEffects that create a monitor sink. Those application can use a microphone but in most cases don't, because PulseEffects is mostly used to apply effects to output streams (but need to record those streams effectively).

INLINE COMMENTS

> ngraham wrote in microphoneindicator.cpp:264
> I don't think this needs to be removed. If an app is "monitoring audio" but there 's no audio recording device, that it hardly matters, right?

First of all, I'm not a c++ developer, I just changed strings, I don't even know what m_sourceModel is. I assume it's a structure listing input sinks, so if you don't have microphones connected, you won't see the indicator, right?

If I assumed right, this is useless I think, because when you connect a microphone, the indicator will show PulseEffects even if nothing is recording from the mic. Plus, some systems have microphone integrated, always connected, so it's useless in this case.

The point is: you want to show applications using microphones? So, show only them, and not monitor sinks.

Since it seems that can't be achieved, show everything is monitoring an audio stream,  including applications using microphone and monitor sinks. So, if there's no audio recording device, show monitor sinks (if they are present).

REPOSITORY
  R115 Plasma Audio Volume Applet