D29080: [kcms/fonts] Guide users towards KScreen KCM for making things bigger on-screen

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 22 14:57:35 BST 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  In D29080#654508 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29080#654508>, @romangg wrote:

  > I like that. KCMs should be more inter-connected anyway. The message could just be shown all the time instead of making it dependent on the font size selected but no need to change that now.

  Thanks! I didn't want to show the message all the time as I thought it might get really irritating to the kind of contrarian user who doesn't like being told what to do.

  In D29080#654442 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29080#654442>, @ahmadsamir wrote:

  > Does InlineMessage have a "Don't show again" capability? it'll become irritating after seeing it 1-2 times.

  I was concerned about that too, which is why I set the visibility imperatively rather than with a binding. So with this patch, once you dismiss it, you won't see it again until and unless you change the settings again in a way that would tripped it once more.

  > IIUC, the fontsHaveChanged() signal, nothing is listening to it in KDE code doesn't mean other 3rd party software isn't, and it's a change in behaviour for the KCM; I am not sure if it can be repurposed.

  Seems a bit unlikely to me that other KDE software or even 3rd-party software would be listening for this signal, and IIRC the signal was added after 5.18 anyway so it hasn't been released yet. But hopefully @bport or a #plasma <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/plasma/> person can shed some light on whether or not this is a bad idea.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

BRANCH
  master