D24844: [Applet] Remove hamburger button and menu

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 22 02:00:14 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D24844#551795 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24844#551795>, @romangg wrote:

  > > user feedback indicates nobody clicks on.
  >
  > You will get the feedback from people who use it after you have removed it and people can't use it anymore.

  It's the cycle of life. :) However the "Play all audio through this device" menu item is well and truly redundant now since the functionality is now exposed right on the main UI. I don't think anyone will miss it.

  >> You raise the maximum volume by clicking on the configure button in the applet to show the settings window and doing it there
  >
  > That's way slower. I use the functionality actually quite often for my bluetooth headset. That being said the functionality is somewhat broken for me because using hardware shortcuts after raising the maximum volume do not respect this.

  Yeah, that bug is fixed here. The problem is that the "raise maximum volume" settings does not take into account the user-configured maximum volume setting and breaks when you use hardware media keys. It's quite messy and broken at the moment. We could fix that problem independently of this, but conceptually it's quite messy to have two subtly different ways to do the same thing.

  > But after removing the switch from the applet do they then not work anymore for other people as well?

  After removing the menu item, the only way to raise the maximum volume is on a global basis using the settings window, after which the behavior is not buggy at all.

  > I believe you should put some more thoughts into how to consistently improve this plasmoid from usability point of view before doing singular drastic changes. Early feedback indicated for example that the current "Default Device" button might be too big for people's taste. Maybe @manueljlin can help with creating a harmonic overall design.

  Definitely open to suggestions.

REPOSITORY
  R115 Plasma Audio Volume Applet

BRANCH
  single-way-to-raise-max-volume (branched from master)