D24321: [KCM] Scale more coarsely with the slider, but more finely with a semi-hidden spinbox

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 1 16:11:54 BST 2019

romangg added a comment.

  In D24321#540433 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24321#540433>, @cullmann wrote:

  > ;=) I talked only about the Qt HiDPI scaling code paths.

  In this case I recommend studying the bug report I linked. There is also a patch attempt in Qt but it got closed for some reason.

  > For any other scaling I don't care, as that should be application transparent, like you say.
  >  But if Wayland really just scales up the stuff via GL fonts will look terrible.

  They are scaled down via Gl to match the fractional part of the scaling value. Applications provide pre-scaled buffers of integer factors 2, 3, 4 and so on.

  > And no, its non-trivial to fix there any artifacts for strange scales and it makes there computation wise a very large different if the scale factor is 1.2 or 1.25, as the later is something you can sanely compute things with ;)
  >  Therefore I really would like to have only some larger scaling steps set for the QT_SCALE_FACTOR... stuff and for the smaller things just some font adjustments.

  Don't see a reason for that. Never heard about necessity in Gl to only calculate with certain floating values for best image quality. But if you can provide some source for that I would be interested in studying that. Can't say I see problems here in a Wayland session though, currently using a scaling factor of 1.8.

REPOSITORY
  R104 KScreen