Monday meeting notes for 11/11/2019

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 11:35:35 GMT 2019

Kai Uwe
Notifications:
* Worked on showing a hint in notification settings and plasmoid when
notifications aren't done by Plasma
    * I've seen people complain that their notifications were ugly
when in fact they were running "Dunst" instead of Plasma notifications
plasma-browser-integration:
* Made a workaround for Audio playback not working under certain
circumstances, please review and test D24870
    Diff 24870 "Fixup new Audio() constructor and apply autoplay
prevention evasion to document.createElement" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D24870
Other:
* qqc2-desktop-style ComboBox keyboard focus/handling is more in line
with widgets QComboBox now
* Added option to hide clock in screen locker for "true screensaver experience"
    * Looked into hiding the cursor but despite cursorShape having
been fixed on initial window show, it appears as though showing a
MouseArea after the fact still doesn't apply properly :(
* Had a KDE booth at Qt World Summit in Berlin last week, see Nico's
trip report for details

Arjen:
* so I posted a series of Kirigami patches last week
* https://phabricator.kde.org/D25176
 25176 "Add a displayHint property to Action" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D25176
* https://phabricator.kde.org/D25177
 25177 "ActionToolBar: Automatically change to icon-only for actions
marked KeepVisible" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D25177
* and https://phabricator.kde.org/D25178
 25178 "Switch ToolBarPageHeader to use the icon collapse behaviour
from ActionToolBar" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D25178
* these move the "collapse main/left/right toolbar actions to
icon-only" behaviour to actiontoolbar
* I've also been reviewing https://phabricator.kde.org/D25018 which
re-adds battery sensors to ksysguard for me, which seems like a
reasonably important fix :)
    Diff 25018 "Move ACPI battery information from /proc/acpi to /sys"
[Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D25018
* additionally, kquickcharts has passed review after some last minute
comments by friedrich, so I hope to be able to do some small plasma
patches soonish to use that here and there

David Redondo:
* I forgot to mention but since some weeks ago Dr.Konqi will now
report whether we are running on Wayland or X
* So no more question asking and waiting for reply about that
*Otherwise I only have two review/test requests
* For https://phabricator.kde.org/D25144 I would like to see some more
testing and no weird categorization
 Diff 25144 "[RFC][Global Shortcuts KCM] Categorize into Applications
and System Services" [Needs Review] https://phabricator.kde.org/D25144
* And I have ported kmenuedit to kglobalaccel https://phabricator.kde.org/D25086
 Diff 25086 "Port to KGlobalAccel" [Needs Review]
https://phabricator.kde.org/D25086
* Porbably something for d_ed to have a look

Leinir:
* Quick update, that since merging https://phabricator.kde.org/D24942
a bunch of prettification and such has happened, but that of course
more wants doing.
    Diff 24942 "Require and use the new NewStuffQuick Button
component" [Closed] https://phabricator.kde.org/D24942
* Importantly, what it means is that we might now reasonably consider
it time to start applying the Qt Quick KNewStuff components to the
rest of Plasma's KCMs and whatnot. This, incidentally, might well in
at least some cases constitute a junior task, or even a GCI task.
* It's really a bunch of small, self contained tasks, none
individually large enough for a full SoK project... unless we want to
do a few experiments and implement the proper Page based method
somewhere, that might well be a solid project for someone. Not a huge
task, but sufficiently challenging for someone a bit green :)

David Edmundson:
* QtSVG update first - there was a patch from someone accepted, it
fixes most things but not our frames. So medium results there
* But now their broken unit test is fixed, hopefully it'll be easier
to follow up on it
* so I'll do that this week
* Also on Qt news, next week QtCS. Aleix and I will be there, so do
poke if there's anything in particular to discuss
* Now for things I've done: Plasma with systemd units is progressing.
Thanks to Ben from gnome, I have a version that works for devs
installing to a separate prefix
* right now ksmserver is needed before plasmashell just to set an env
variable we need for when plasma in future launches stuff
* (and a similar thing for kwin, but slightly more complicated there)
* but if we force the same order with deps things are workable as-is
* I'll try to make sure the task is up to date so people can follow
* in other plasma news, I just hopefully fixed this binding loop in
the lock screen, as well as some QtDBus usage in kactivitymanagerd

Marco:
# Kirigami
* merge the swipelistitem rewrite
* hide the drawer handle when in sidebar mode
* better bahavior for flicking on the PageRow
* shadows for cards done as little gradients at the edges instead of
big blurs which should help with crappy (read, arm) gpus
# KWin
* Try to enforce no borders for Aurorae decorations